Monday, January 22, 2007

Weekend update!

So I'm sitting in Farashta's room waiting awhile before we go out to Moore's. The weekends here are painfully boring; nothing is open on Sundays but the restaurants and I am starting to see how much money I'm spending going to restaurants. So, to conquer this, on Saturday, after I transported my luggage to my piso, we went to the supermercado. OMG. This was one of the most difficult things I've done here. We normally shop for food for two weeks, so now I'm already stuck on what to do; I don't know what everyone else has; and I don't know what food is even good to get. If I'm lucky, I can tell what something is by a picture or by picking out words, but I can't tell one marca from another.

So, pleased that I survived this with a loaf of bread, some tuna, apples, and chips (which, btw, were subpar), I started my piso meals with tuna sandwiches with mayo. For breakfast I have muffin-y things that are very yummy and as far as I'm concerned good enough :).

So, about my piso. It's essentially a hallway and all the rooms are capillaries of the main artery. There is no such thing as a common area or many places to sit. I have no windows in my room, so the only way I can tell time is by my alarm clock. If the stars align - that is, my roommate's blinds are open to the window and the sun is shining enough to get through the vent - I might be able to tell if it's daytime. It can really mess up my sleep schedule. Plus, I think she and I have become particularly close that Saturday night... Fortunately, the next evening when I saw her, which wasn't for the whole day because I felt it would be extremely awkward, she apologized for all the noise of the night before. I'm not really at my piso that much, which is ok, it's not really home-y. Fiona, the Scottish girl, will be moving out at semester, so I don't know what will happen with that.

Sunday is dull as usual. I ate my scrumptious muffins and agua del grife and then we went out for a group dinner at the Chinese restaurant. I got sweet and sour pork and it was MUCH better than whatever I had last time. I meant to wander around town and take pictures, but it was a little chilly during the day. After dinner, the girls went for chocolate con churros, which were delish as usual. I'm getting used to the dark chocolate here! Then, Hannah and I had some good discussions in my cave after dinner until the wee hours of the morning.

Today at school, I ended up being twenty minutes late. I thought I was taking a short cut, but nope. It was all right, I got to see a part of town I'd never seen before, and then after classes I walked around for another hour and a half just kind of meandering. It was nice to see everything, but I don't think all the information will be stored in my head. It was really rainy today! I kept thinking that it couldn't possibly rain as much as they say, but it rains about every other day guaranteed. I think I've walked something like 3 hours today, but can't quantify that any better. Because our piso steals an internet signal, it is very unreliable in my cave, so I keep borrowing other people's computers. I'm sure I will start exploring the cafe/cafes from where we are stealing it. :)
I love getting all the comments, emails, facebook messages from everyone! It makes me feel like I'm more in the loop. :) Photos to come soon... during a siesta time!

7 comments:

Valerie Tarbutton said...

feel free to leave your cave and come chill here whenever you want!!

besitos xxx

Anonymous said...

Hola!! (and there you have it, prety much my entire spanish lexicon). I hope you are having a great week, I love reading your posts! And I wish I could have the hot chocolate you wrote about..too cold here! Talk to you soon!

Tom said...

Since I hear that the locals tend to spend most of the night up partying, eating or just general living, maybe they too don't have any windows in their rooms and have no reason to get up when the sun comes up. Somebody in Spain must get up at 5:00 AM to work or farm or whatever and actually go to bed for at least a 6-7 hour continual sleep.

Maybe you and Valerie have actually found the secret to why 'Americans are fat and Europeans are thin'. Since they are awake most of the time and get very little sleep, and definitely not all at once, maybe they are just burning themselves out faster in life. You know 'live hard today and rest tommorrow', or 'live for the day'.

Maybe we fat slobs of Americians trend to a more sedate outlook on life and live longer but with a bit more to love around the middle. Certainly I haven't heard a thing about you all having any truely healthy food to eat.

Glad to hear you are having fun. Adjusting is a bit hard but look at all the stories you'll have to share when you get back. And certainly you won't embellish any of them either!

Anonymous said...

What's shakin, bacon? love reading of your outings. Lawrence is missing you. Hope you have a lot of fun, keep being awesome, although how could you not? honestly. Will and Grace misses you too. oh yeah, and I miss you too ;)

~Steven

Anonymous said...

ok. so I'm keeping this comment slightly anonymous... because I cannot believe my fortune!! I'm also very skeptical about it actually being true. (and I don't want anyone involved in our office gossip to hear about my news/luck)

so I just got my latest paycheck, and they have honestly all been extremely large lately (not that I'm complaining!) I actually keep joking with "the boyfriend" about how I'm getting somebody else's check... so I took a closer look and apparently my pathetic hourly wage has been increased to 9.27/hr and I'm also getting almost 8 hours of overtime (which is 14/hr)! woot! sooo all I really do is hang out here around 6 hours a week, and I'm getting $220! woot! that's 110 for 6 hours! Anyway, I'm extremely jazzed. not as jazzed as I would be if I was in spain, but still it's pretty good times. I'm thinking about getting a new TV because they're all on sale for the superbowl.

Valerie Tarbutton said...

loved the scarf today ;)

ElizabethAnn said...

I'm pretty sure your posts will make my day, week, or even month. Miss you darlin'. I think it finally hit everyone in Kappa that you're gone at 3rd degree on Monday. It was a hard blow. :) Keep writing, it's great hearing about it. Makes me miss Germany all the more. ~EMo