Friday, January 19, 2007

World Peace

Tonight was SO much fun! I am officially on Spain time, I think, or at least for the nights! After school, I went and bought my SIM card but I don't know which plan to choose, there are so many and I don't know which one outweighs the others. After that, we all got dressed up to go to dinner, we went to the Latino Bar for dinner and then after that met up with a girl from class, Anna (she has the MOST beautiful Spanish accent I've ever heard! It's a combination of French and Spanish and I just wish she would be the one who would read everything in class just so I can listen to her, and BTW I love our class! It is SOOOO much fun! I'm sure we are going to get in trouble for being so talkative!) and her friend Arthur. We went to a little hole in the wall place and had two bottles of some kind of wine that monks make. By we had two bottles, I mean I drank two cups, everyone else had one, and Valerie was a champ. The other bottle needed to be finished because you can't take it inside discotecas, so that was an adventure in itself! The first discoteca we went to was Grimpis, normally there is a cover but because Arthur knew the guy we all got in free. It was too crowded so we left for another, the other one was far too empty - Goldilocks, anyone? :) - and so we went to Apolo, which was a place we all had been wanting to see. Ladies get in free and this clicks that it must be a place like all the clubs in Lawrence when they have Ladies Night -- which it was.

So, we get there at like 2 am, which we all figure is about when everyone starts coming out to the discotecas, but no. Really, no one goes to bars until like 1 am and no one goes to the discotecas until 3 am. Anna, Mindy, and I were dancing all by ourselves in the middle of the floor because it was so empty. Everytime they played a song in English I would freak out because I might know it or what they were saying, but otherwise I had no idea what was going on. Then, all of us were dancing and having a good time and around 3 it started getting busier. I don't know if it was because we were obviously American, I had blonde hair (which I hear is a big, exotic thing here), because of our dancing skills (or lack thereof), or what, but the entire night there was a circle of guys crowded around us trying to break into our circle. There was one guy who followed me everywhere and kept staring at me, it was kind of creepy but now it is really funny. Also, one guy came up behind me and started rubbing his butt all over me and tried to hold my hands, but I was like, puh-lease. It was funny how many guys I had to wave down because I didn't want to dance with them. And then Mindy started getting the guys when I made her change places with me! Anyway, at around 5 or so we are starting to get kind of tired and it's really hot and stuffy inside, so we go to leave.

When we have orientation or meetings about different cultures, we always hear that they drink a lot but they don't get drunk. To that I say, puh-lease. They just don't get drunk until 4 in the morning. And 4 am here is 9 pm in Kansas, so it's almost like everyone is drunk at the same time! Worldwide unity! That might be one of the best points in starting a world peace campaign :).

Today is the moveout day, but since we all slept past the checkout time of noon (I woke up around 3 pm... but I'm making up for the siestas I've been missing) we have the rooms until tomorrow at noon. And most of us are taking this because 1) guaranteed hot shower and 2) free breakfast. I'm going for the breakfast, definitely, but I don't know where that is prioritized for everyone else. I've managed to get everything to fit into my bags again, so I am going to be hesitant in unpacking some things because it's such a pain to unpack, repack, etc. Anyway, we are off for our first meal of the day, lunch because we all missed breakfast, and are going to find this cheap sandwich place. Yay! I think I also missed when the banks are open to cash my check, I am seriously low on Euro cash, and eventually go shopping. I wore Farashta's coat last night and it was soooo great! I love it, want it, and will buy it when I find it! Also, I need better shoes, my feet are killing me from all the walking, and febreze so my clothes smell less like second-hand smoke, haha.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Let's see.. blonde, blue eyes, I think that they see a rich american, want to get married and become a US citizen. Good hearing all about about your adventures, now how bout some pictures. Hope your getting plenty of sleep and enjoying your siestas.

Claire said...

"When we have orientation or meetings about different cultures, we always hear that they drink a lot but they don't get drunk. To that I say, puh-lease. They just don't get drunk until 4 in the morning. And 4 am here is 9 pm in Kansas, so it's almost like everyone is drunk at the same time! Worldwide unity! That might be one of the best points in starting a world peace campaign :)." Este es mi parte favorito - LOL tipo!

Tambien, veia una chaqueta como la de farashta pero ahora no me recurdo donde! :-( Pero, es en SANTIAGO! :-) Y tengo orto mas de un cosa como Febreeze si necesitas!

Anonymous said...

dittos to your dad about the pictures! Besides all the cool stuff in spain, make sure to take pics of all the cute stuff you buy, and all your fancy outfits that you go out in...

my internetting is now full of communicating with you and my dad, which makes me feel extremely lame for being stuck in the US of A.

and that's really funny about the 9pm/4am drunkeness similarity. haha. did I tell you that this new herbal medicine I got at Green Acres has grain alcohol in it? it tastes like the worst shot ever... and I mix it with OJ!! so I'm giving up on being natural and getting an antibiotic tom....